I started making the main spar channels for the horizontal stabilizer. I located my last piece of Z03-02 channel then calculated the cut length and cut the channel. Again, I used a hack saw to start the cut on the web of the channel and then finished the cuts in the flanges with snips. I used my bench sander to clean up the ends. Next I trimed the end using right and left hand snips and filed the 1/8" radius. I finished the session by putting the 90 degree bend in the end of the channel.
Forward Spar Channel
Today I continued work on the forward spar channels. I lost my cut length for the channel so I had to recalculate it. Next I cut, trimed and formed the second channel. Finally I drilled both and then removed the protective plastic coating.
Forward Spar Channel
Today I started working on the forward spar channels. After digging though my formed metal kit I located a 96" length of Z03-02 channel. I cut it to length using a hacksaw and snips and then trimmed the end in preparation for forming. Trimming the end involved using one of my small round files and a little sandpaper. The left and right handed snips come in handing working on this material. Next I formed the 68 degree angle on the end. I finished todays work by marking the piece for drilling. I also did some mock setup just to see how the part fits up.
More work on the parts for Elevator Horn Weldment
I bought a new band saw blade from a local vendor in the Brampton, ON area. They make blades to order ,so I purchased a 1/2" wide by 0.025" thick 14-16 variable pitch bi-metal blade. It seems to cut the 4130 plate fairly well but I’m having difficulting cutting tube. I think I’ll use a zip disk in a small angle grinder to cut the tube. My other thought for the tube is do put an abrasive disk in my power miter saw. In any case my bench sander works great to put the angle on the end of the tube. I cut out the two plates required for the elevator horn and I drilled the pilot holes in one. I also sanded the 20 degree angle into one end of a piece of tube. Working with the 4130 seems similar to working with the aluminum althought its a bit heavier and takes a little more force to get things cutting.
Drawings for Elevator Horn Weldment Parts
It’s been a while since I’ve had a chance to work on the plane. I have ordered and received almost all of the 4130 steel for the weldments. Today I fired up AutoCAD and drew two of the parts required for the Elevator Horn Weldment; the Drive Plate and the Drive Arm. I don’t like the idea of cutting up my plans and while I could trace these parts I find it more interesting to draw them in AutoCAD and the plot out the templates. This is probably way more accurate than required but it works for me
Second Forward Root Clip
I cut out the second clip then formed it on the brake. Next I polished it and drilled the holes.
Forward Root Clip
I cut out and formed one of the forward root clips.
I finished bending the drive horn. I find it difficult to estimate the amount of overbend required. In this case I went a little beyond and had to hammer the bend back a bit.<br /><br /> With the bend complete I used scotch brite again to clean up the orange peel like marks in the area of the ben.
Main Spar Forward Strap
Drilled the main spar forward strap
Angles For The Horizontal Stabilizer Rear Spar
The final exercise for today was to make the angles that attache to the horizontal stabilizer rear spar. These required a bend with an inside radius of 1/8" tangent to the inside radius of the angle. To bend this I found a screw driver shaft that was the correct diameter and clamed the angle to a plate in the vice. Next I attached a piece of hardwood to provide the leverage for the bend. This seem to work okay but it did cause the angle to bend a little on the adjacent leg. I solve this problem with a few blows from my rubber mallet after the initial bending.
You must be logged in to post a comment.