Forming Elevator Ribs

Using the new clamp bars for my bending brake I formed four elevator ribs. Somehow I got a piece of steel shaving embedded in the edge of one and decided to discard it. This also prompted me to clean up the shop a bit. I also discarded the first rib I had formed on the weekend as it ended up with a crease on the inside of one of the flanges when I tried forming it with the 1/2" clamp bar.

Elevator Ribs

I cut out three elevator rib blanks today. These were the first parts I’ve cutout without templates. I just laid out the parts using the dimension on the plans. I had a problem when I formed the first one. The second bend causes the first flange to come in contact with the bending brake. It hit a sharp edge and ended up with a gouge in the aluminum. I think I’ll make this part again and see If I can get a short piece of 3/8" x 2" or 3" cold finished flat bar to make a new slimmer clamping bar for the brake.